Woodpeckers in Fort Sheridan


While hiking around Fort Sheridan I heard a barking sound from one of 
the trees and spotted an unusually large woodpecker with a red head (cleverly 
named red-headed woodpecker). Luckily, the unique woodpecker remained in view
 for a short while with an orange tree behind it, and I was able to walk away with a 
photograph I was satisfied with. At the other side of the prairie preserve I heard another 
barking sound and again spotted an unusually large woodpecker, although this time with 
only a red spot on its head (red-bellied woodpecker) and also perched much higher up.


I was trying to rationalize why I liked bird photography the other day, and I came to the
 conclusion that  there was nothing specifically about birds that I like but rather the idea of 
capturing an image that you normally wouldn't be able to see because birds are small and 
usually keep there distance from humans. There's also a "collector's"element to it where there's
 nice to discover a bird that I haven't photographed before.

Fort Sheridan
Taken in October 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment