Leafless Trees in Elm Park


Unfortunately I didn't have a chance to photograph autumn more diligently than
 I did last year, so now I'm stuck with cloudy afternoons, leafless trees, and dried 
leaves covering the ground. Nevertheless, this makes for good black and white 
photography, so I quickly headed over to Elm Park with my new Holga to take a few 
pictures of the looming shadows of trees and mounds of leaves.


I bought a Holga camera two weeks ago but I hadn't realized that it only took 120mm
 film so a week later when it arrived I ordered a 35mm adapter, which arrived a week 
after that. Yesterday I grabbed a role of film from Walgreens that was lying around 
and quickly headed over to Elm Park to get some shots and see if I had made a wise 
investment. The vast majority of the pictures were out of focus or very poor quality, 
but the several that worked out have a very appealing quality to them. The depth of
 field is extremely narrow, the contrast is very strong, and sunlight bleeds over the rest
 of the image so the result is dreamlike and vintage-looking.

Winnetka
Taken in October 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment