Autumn in Fort Sheridan


 It was very cold and overcast today and I'm burnt out after a busy week but
 I have a four day weekend and I wanted to take advantage of that extra time
 so I biked to Fort Sheridan. I brought my telephoto lens in hopes of spotting some
 interesting birds (and I did--I'll post them later) but the leaves on all the trees 
changed colors so dramatically that I decided mostly to capture the overwhelming
 Pollock-like splattering of the many differently hued trees in the vast forest. Out of 
the several forest preserves I've visited to photograph autumn, Fort Sheridan so far has 
been the best because of its size, colors, and diversity.


Since I brought a telephoto lens my photos were forcefully cropped more narrowly, and
 I've noticed--both in my photography and others'--that narrowly cropped pictures of
 autumn trees or clutters of leaves work better than generic autumn landscape shots
 without angled perspective. Adding subjectivity to the framing of a subject already 
reminiscent of a painting results in something more emotionally displaced but sensually
 appealing than anything with a more standard point-of-view which has the ability to 
connect with the viewer on a comfortingly realistic or less-fantastical level (i.e. there
 isn't any geographic context for the shot).

Fort Sheridan
Taken in October 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment