Insects in a Field by the Skokie Lagoons


There's a small field of wildflowers and bees next to the Skokie Lagoons that--
because of the high density of plants and wildlife--is perfect for macro-photography.
 On my way to the Botanic Gardens I stopped by the field and walked along
 the edge to see if there was anything unique. One interesting bug that I found 
was a locust. The field was full of honeybees and wasps, and I managed to get 
a good shot of one of the bees (although it ended up chasing me away).


Bug photography can be fun if you have the right equipment, but I've been 
hesitant to photograph bugs on the Skokie Lagoons mostly because during the spring 
I would emerge from a field with my leg covered with ticks. I didn't have that 
problem this time, but it's autumn so it was windy and the narrow framing of 
macro-lenses caused the vast majority of my photos to be motion-blurred.

Winnetka
Taken in September 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment