Two Swans on the Skokie Lagoon at Sunset



It was very bizarre to see swans on the Skokie Lagoon. While I was 
photographing the sunset yesterday these two swans were slowly paddling 
towards the other end of the Lagoon, and they reached the sheet of ice at 
about the same time as sunset. I walked towards them slowly so they eventually 
grew used to me and didn't  fly away, and even floated right up to me on the shore later on.


To get the orange to be as vibrant as it is in the photo, I used a low 
aperture to get the colors to be more saturated and a slow shutter speed to
 make the reflection of the sun brighter. I used my telephoto lens, so there
 isn't much detail in the ice behind the swans which makes it look like a sky/horizon. 
Here's a wider photo that better illustrates the setting of the previous photo:

Winnetka
Taken in January 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment