Two Swans on the Skokie Lagoon 2


Same swans as I posted yesterday. I recently watched a documentary from
 the 80s on National Geographic Photographers and I noticed one of the 
photographers was using a flash when photographing animals at night so I 
tried it out on the swan(s) as the sun began to fall behind the trees and the
 swans were slowly floating closer to the shore. I was surprised that they weren't
 annoyed by the flash at all, and I have to say that though I am not a fan of 
using flash it works very well with close-up night nature photography. It makes 
the animals/plants more detailed and tangible looking.


The top photo was one of the last photos I took of the swans, and the 
bottom photo is one of the first. The swans were paddling in an area of 
the Lagoon that wasn't exposed to the sunset yet, but I really like the 
bleak colors and the blur effect my telephoto gave the landscape. The juxtaposition 
between the looming crooked trees and the upright dignified swan is interesting.

Winnetka
Taken in January 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment