Ice next to the Skokie Lagoons


One evening during winter break I biked through the cold to the Skokie Lagoons 
and found a nice icy patch on the muddy shore midst where the reeds usually were 
and positioned my camera with its macro filters on the ice. I had gone to the Lagoons 
with the intention of getting a good shot of ice, and the frozen shoreline provided
 that as well as a landscape view tinted by the city's tungsten lights on the horizon, 
which with a long exposure permeated all translucent surfaces.



In the Modern Art course I took over the summer I wrote an essay looking at a painting
 by Marsden Hartley based on an essay by Clement Greenberg, an art critic, where
 he argues that modernism is art coming to terms with its own medium. Based on 
that definition of modernism, Alfred Stieglitz was sort of the first modern photographer
 in that he focused more on what was included in the frame than the quality of the
 subject itself. Personally, I like that definition of photography as being unique in 
that the person wielding the camera can choose what and how the lens captures.

Winnetka
Taken in December 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment