Campaign Signs lining Willow Road

Today is Election Day, and I was an election judge at precinct 11. During a lull at 
the voting station I took a break to bike home and walk my dog. I had been waiting 
all year to finally get a photo illustrating the clutter of political signs in front of 
polling places, so I brought my camera with me as I biked back to the voting 
station and took a few shots of signs in front of Crow Island Elementary School 
and the Presbyterian Church on Willow Road. Unfortunately the scene doesn't 
look as cluttered as I would've liked, but it still illustrates the inanimate nature of 
the signs and how their bright colors are obviously intended to sway undecided 
voters, like a bull charging at a bright red cape.



At any rate, I'm in a political science class and I was an election judge today and 
during the primary and I've been to a state senate and house debate as well as 
two congressional debates in the past month and I recently phoned people for a 
congressman so I'm not intending to be too cynical, although campaign propaganda 
is undeniably visual pollution that deserves to have a Warholesque rendering 
of it through art. 

Winnetka
Taken in November 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment