Native American Artifacts at the Grove


One place that I felt nostalgic about while in St. Louis was the Grove for some 
reason. I'd gone there when I was younger, but I hadn't been there in nearly a 
decade; perhaps I remembered the Grove because it sparked a sense of curiosity about Illinois 
wildlife and history. Yesterday I biked to the Grove and toured the trails and museum. 
Although the main attraction was the zoo of Illinois wildlife, they also had a trove of
 artifacts from early settlers and Native Americans.


In junior-high I went on a field trip to the Mitchell Museum in Evanston, which 
has a nice collection of Native American artifacts, and on the drive to St. Louis
 I saw a few Indian Mounds next to the highway. The disconnect between 
modernity and Illinois' pre-Colombian past is sort of bizarre. Admittedly 
it's less relevant than the history of Eastern/Southern European immigrants
in Chicago, especially when taking into consideration the modern demographic 
make up of the North Shore. I've always found Native American art to have an 
authentic and almost meditatively sentimental quality to it, especially when I 
recently discovered Edward Curtis' "The North American Indian" portfolio. Maybe 
my impression is based on this modern disconnect between the 
history of the land and the history of the people.

Glenview
Taken in September 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment