The Moon during a Solar Storm



According to somebody on facebook, there was supposed to be an 
aurora borealis last night. I researched it, and supposedly because of
 solar flare caused by solar storms there should've be some minor light 
show. Too impatient for then, I went to a local field and tried 
to see if I could get a shot of any kind of astronomical activity. Since 
I live near Chicago, the city lights blot out anything beyond planes 
and stars and the moon, and so I gave up and began photographing
 the moon, which was unusually large and bright.


This was my first time photographing anything astronomical. At first 
I used a 30 second shutter speed with f/45 on my telephoto lens. The
 bottom photo is the result. I then figured out that when photographing
 the moon, you're photographing a light source, and so I switched
 to f/5.6 and 1/500 shutter speed and I was able to get a detailed picture
 of the moon. You can even see a face on it.

Winnetka
Taken in March 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment