Two White Tailed Deer

 While photographing waterfowl on the one of the slimmer branches of the Lagoon
 I heard a rustle in the leaves behind me, and so I turned and saw a mother deer 
and her two offspring. I was overjoyed to be having a chance to photograph 
deer in the daytime with my telephoto lens, and as I began to snap pictures the 
deer looked on suspiciously. One of the offspring was grazing behind the other,
 and it heard the shutter of my camera and craned its neck over the other to see 
what all the fuss was about. I thought the pose was perfect and they held it for 
about ten seconds: long enough for me to get a correct aperture, shutter speed, 
and focus. Hence, a arbitrary moment turned into a human scene of comradery and 
the intimacy of family.


The top photo was photoshopped because it was originally shot in 
'raw'. I tried to make the deer more red and prominent by blurring the
 foreground and brightening/saturating the deer, but now I think it looks
 like the deer are popping out too much. Either way, quaint pic.

Winnetka
Taken in February 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment