Common Goldeneye, Common Merganser, and Hooded Mergansers on the Skokie Lagoons



Left to right is a common goldeneye, common merganser, and a male 
and female hooded merganser. Since I've started learning about all
 the interesting species of waterfowl on the Skokie Lagoons I've 
started thinking about the Lagoons as sort of a backyard zoo, 
because it's only a ten minute bike ride from my house, and after 
school today I decided to bike to the canoe launch on Tower Road to 
see if I could get a shot of one of the interesting looking duck-variants. 


This is probably the most fortunate nature shot I've ever been
 able to get because I was specifically looking for a merganser
 and I spotted these birds the moment I entered the bike trail
 and I got a photo of them all in the same frame. This was shot 
through a small wooded area between the path and the water,
 and of course as I tried to get closer moments later they all
 flew away. I was still able to get a few individual shots of the
 hooded merganser, which is a beautiful bird.

Glencoe
Taken in February 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment