Cardinals



 On New Years Eve I went on a trek through the forest by the Skokie Lagoons 
in search of birds that haven't migrated yet and happened upon some seagulls,
 mallards, and cardinals. Cardinals are the only ones that stay around all winter,
 and I was surprised to see the other birds but I guess the weather still isn't cold 
enough for them to leave.


The forest was very dense and it was nearly impossible to find an angle
 where branches weren't in the way, but my telephoto lens and a wide
 aperture were a big help and I was able to walk away with several quality
 shots. On the top is a male cardinal which I spent a half hour chasing
 through the woods by following its chirping, and the bottom photo is of a
 female cardinal who was kind enough to stop and pose while I found a good angle.

Glencoe
Taken in December 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment