Winnetka's Business District and Dwyer Park at Night


While walking home from school with my camera and 50mm f/1.8 lens, I took 
an alternative route and photographed street lamps. I noticed the brightly lit Dutch
 architecture of Winnetka's business district piercing through Dwyer Park, and stood in 
the snow on the curb to compose landscape shots of the buildings shaded by the out-of-focus
 park. The buildings seemed unique, and I tried to isolate them but also integrate them
 into the sprawling nightscape.



Winnetka is quaint, but it's sort of elitist. Specifically, country club elitist. As I took 
these shots, a few cars slowed to see what a teenager with a bag and a mysterious device 
in his hand could possibly be doing at this time at night, especially in the wealthier part of 
one of the wealthiest suburbs in the country. I mean I guess it's suspicious, and that explains 
why no one has gotten these shots before. Unfortunately, as a product of this pristine and
 sheltered enclave on the lake, I feel as though I have a duty to capture the distinct character 
of Winnetka-- not through galas and community events, as most North Shore publications try to,
 but through it's landscape.

Winnetka
Taken in February 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment