Leafless Trees in Crow Island Woods


Hiking through Crow Island Woods yesterday, the undergrowth looked particularly
 uninspiring and the landscape barren. It had snowed heavily, but the slight increase
 in temperature caused the snow to melt so everything was muddy and generally ugly.
 Then I remembered an idea I had a while back about arboreally typology, fusing Harriet 
and Bernd Becher's style with the typical sort of subject that I photograph, so I picked 
an interesting looking tree and photographed it composed straight through the middle 
two-thirds of the frame, with the center of the tree in focus. A dense tangle of spiny red 
vines, slush, and dead branches were a nuisance, but each time I managed 
to maneuver through.


   

Winnetka
Taken in February 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment