Bobcat at Elawa Farm in Lake Forest


I was too lazy to bike in the freezing weather yesterday, so I just drove to several 
of the places that I would've normally biked to. Since I had time, I drove to 
Middlefork Savannah Forest Preserve in Lake Bluff and spent a half hour 
figuring out how to access the forest preserve with a car. The car entrance led
 to Elawa Farm, an extremely quaint zoo of Midwestern wildlife, similar to 
the Grove and the River Trail Nature Center except more oriented into
 the surrounding landscape.



Nature centers usually have cages with large birds in them, and Elawa Farm 
had a hawk and an owl and a pond for turtles and frogs (which was frozen over). 
What was unique was the bobcat. I was not aware that bobcats lived in Illinois, 
so like the snapping turtle at the Grove it was a nice reminder of how mysterious and 
terrifying Illinois' forest preserves are. It's also interesting seeing Illinois wildlife in 
a cage because it makes something familiar seem exotic. The bobcat, on the other 
hand, didn't really share my sentiments.

Taken in January 2013
Lake Forest

No comments:

Post a Comment