More Waterfowl on the Skokie Lagoon in Spring



Two interesting birds that I saw at the Skokie Lagoons today were a caspian tern 
and a wood duck (respectively top and bottom photo). The tern looked very
 similar to a seagull except for the black spot on its head and its large orange
 beak, and it spent about fifteen minutes circling the water and diving in to 
grab fish. The wood duck was very shy, and departed with a siren-like 
squawking as soon as it saw me.


It's been raining, but sunlight managed to break through the clouds and
 diffuse through the mist to give everything a soft glow. I wanted a more 
'stop-motion' effect with the birds, so I increased the ISO speed to 1600--
which is something that I usually don't like doing because it makes the image 
a little fuzzy-- and took the photos with a shutter speed of around 1/2000.

Winnetka
Taken in May 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment