Killdeer at the Skokie Lagoons



Yesterday, just as I was embarking on a hike through the Skokie
 Lagoons to see what sort of spring birds I hadn't discovered yet,
 I noticed a bird meandering around the shore which had a similar 
complexion and build to a sandpiper. As I continued down from the
 Tower Road canoe launch to the Willow Road dam, I encountered 
it several other times (could've even been the same bird). I'd seen 
it before while biking in Cook County so I knew it wasn't too obscure to see 
one around here but it was still pretty unique.


After doing some research online I found out that its called a 'killdeer'.
Their eyes make them look sort of comical. As opposed to other birds, 
which usually fly away if they were bothered by me, the killdeer would just
 walk a few feet away; so I was able to get more up-close/natural shots 
without having to hide behind a tree.

Winnetka
Taken in April 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment