Red Breasted Mergansers on the Skokie Lagoons


In my previous experience photographing this bird, I was very frustrated 
with tracking it down and getting close without scaring it off. On Saturday 
morning I awoke early-- 8am-- and biked down to the Lagoons, where to 
my surprise I found an large flock of Red Breasted Mergansers (+ a few hooded 
mergansers, which is the one with the white head). I found a shady spot
 next to a tree to perch my telephoto lens, and waited patiently until 
the mergansers floated by; I remained totally still and they didn't notice 
me, and as a result I got some super close -up portraits of them. They're very
 interesting looking birds, I think.


After several months of futile bird photography I decided it was time to 
reform my habits and research what other people are doing that makes 
their photos so much more intimate than mine. I employed all of these 
techniques on Saturday and spent four hours successfully photographing 
all sorts of birds. Here are the basics: birds are usually out from sunrise to 11am,
 a telephoto lens is required, and find a comfortable niche to patiently
 hide in until the birds float by.

Glencoe
Taken in February 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment